IS XW A DOG?

XY-> Steve:
XY-> When Signature became XyWrite 4 after the TTG takeover, as I recall
 -> much of the klutzy code was re-written. I remember Kenny Frank
 -> commenting in his letter marketing the product that they had rewritten a lo
 -> of the basic Signature code to improve speed. On my admittedly high-end
 -> machines (50 MHz 486 at home, 100 MHz Pentium at work) the speed
 -> difference between XyWrite 4 and XyWrite 3.57 is negligible.

On my own tests comparing 3.55 (my personal favorite) and 4,
3.55 is about four times faster in dealing with text-intensive
XPLs, on a straight line-by-line basis. With the substitution
of version 4 XPL improvements (BXs, etc.), version 4 has a
slight edge.

I prefer 3.55 because writing XPL for it is second-nature to me
and because version 4 has an expanded memory overhead which is
unnecessary for the rest of my system.

The wildcard replaces of version 4 are nice, but I had already
added them to version 3.5 many years ago. Basically, one can do
just about anything with either version (though I regret the
loss of help frame 5 in version 4).

--Chet

---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ chet@xxxxxxxx     http://www.asb.com/usr/chet/