Re: Porting DLG funcs $0-$9|$A-$Z to U2

Reply to note from  Sun, 26 Aug 2001 18:19:45 -
0400 (EDT)

> I assume you mean that a directory is displayed in the
> alternate screen and you want to CAll the file under the
> cursor	in that directory. Why not simply this:
>
> 		AS >BX ca Q2 ;*;
>
> 	Takes about 10 seconds to write, and it works. 				--Carl
>
> Thanks, Carl. When I revisit the section of code where I
> wanted to do that I'll try your solution. It does seem
> perfectly illustrative of why porting xpl to Signature from
> xyW3--where (more) simply this
>
> 	AS BC ed XC
>
> does the job--is so discouraging. Who would know those extra
> steps are necessary and why?

Now that you mention it, I recall wrestling with this when
Signature was new. For some reason -- and, if I ever did figure
out why, I don't remember now -- the point-and-shoot CAll (or
EDit) command failed in XPL, even though it worked when issued
manually from the CMline. Yet, as I sit here today using XyDOS
v4.018, BC caXC (or the equivalent BC edXC ) works fine. Perhaps
a bug was fixed somewhere along the line.

But  is still preferable, because it doesn't repaint the
CMline. The more you acclimate to v4+ programming, the more
you'll find that avoiding the command line (favoring BX...Q2 over
BC...XC) becomes second nature. The advantages -- speed,
preservation of the last manual command, maintenance of the cursor
position (whether in text or on the command header), and visually
clean execution -- are compelling. That's why, today, I wouldn't
think of using BC caXC , even if it does remain an option.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx