latest offer

Twas wondering if they would get around to another mass-mailing to
sway the undecideds on XyWin. Got one in today's mail. No mention
to indicate that Orbis or Ibid ever existed, but the current bundle
includes a Windoze screen-saver (zzzzzzz . . .), plus a collection of
scalable Truetype fonts, all for the bargain price of $109.

I already had Xy4Dos (v. 4.011, recently upgraded to 4.014), which
I basically don't bother with too much thus far. (Had all kinds of
memory problems w/ 4.011, such as it balking at loading *both* my not-
terribly-hefty 3+ .KBD file *and* my basic .SGT file at the same time.
The latter is just about 15K, although there are a few routines loaded
onto keys. Still, shouldn't be a problem running 8 meg.s. I don't
even try to run Xy4Dos under DV '386, but do have QEMM running, which
Xy4 does not like, so maybe that had something to do with it. Anyway,
I lacked the time or the interest to futz with it further. Will do
some cursory checks to see if 4.014 behaves any better in that regard.)

In view of the critical -- and mostly still unaddressed -- problems
cited by you and others, I am very much on the fence concerning
whether or not I will respond to their offer. In the past, I have
bought XyQuest products (SIG, and later Xy4Dos -- *almost* ordered
the Orbis/Ibid pkg. too) not because I particularly wanted them, _but
because I felt I owed the Co. some more revenue/support, if I hoped
to see them continue in business._ But, at the same time, I don't
wish to applaud or to validate what I consider very wrongheaded
development practices that run contrary to the interests of the long-
established user base.

I welcome any comment on this from the members of this forum.
---
 * The Wicked Scherzo - The Inner Station, California
 * PostLink(tm) v1.11 WICKED (#356) : NelayRet(tm)