Re: XY Under Vista

Carl Distefano  wrote:

> My point was that, as long as the VDM is still there at all, it
> doesn't surprise me to hear that Xy runs. I don't see evidence of a
> sinister conspiracy within MS to undermine the VDM by subtly
> disabling functions here and there with each new release, no death
> by a thousand cuts. Nor does it seem likely that the VDM will be
> pulled anytime soon. Even if dumbed-down ordinary users ignore the
> command line, the developers who write OpSyses no doubt still depend
> on it for their work; why would they deprive themselves? And if it
> is ever jettisoned, there will almost certainly be third-party VDMs
> to replace it. I'm not losing any sleep over this.

Ah, the voice of reason. Every single time there is a new opsys from
Redmond, you hear people fretting about the "death of DOS". An
acquaintance of mine once frantically tried to convince me that the DOS
prompt had disappeared in Windows Me when all it had done was being
moved a level deeper in the Start menu (of course that opsys was an
abomination in most other respects).

Part of the blame for this hysteria rests with Redmond, though, since
their press releases certainly don't give high prominence to the VDM and
many reviewers just parrot their stuff.

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx