Re: XyWin follow-up question

Timothy wrote:

>	Our LAN is being upgraded from Netware 3 (which is no longer being
>supported) to Netware 4, which is 32-bit. Part of this upgrade involves a
>piece of software called Client 32. I'm not involved with any of that, so
>my understanding of it is rather limited. But what I *do* know is that a
>conflict is occurring between Client 32 and XyWrite III, the result being
>keyboard amnesia--any keystroke with more than one character or mnemonic
>gets stalled until another keystroke, at which point both keystrokes are
>executed.

The one thing I can offer is that it's possible that Xy4 will not have
the same problems as Xy3. When I first started using OS/2 I was
experiencing keyboard snafus with Xy3, and reported these to IBM, and
was told that Xy4 was CUA compliant whereas Xy3 was not, and upgrading
would solve my problems. It did. So perhaps it would be a somewhat
less painful intermediary step to move to Xy4? Maybe worth a try. I
believe there are many more using Xy4 than XyWin on the list.

>B. We want to keep using the same word processor (and data format) for as
>long as possible (5 years?).
>	Windows 98 supposedly marks the beginning of the elimination of DOS
>(although I realize it does still support DOS). Even without the Client
>32 problem we'd be faced with replacing XyWrite in a few years anyhow.
>So, since we're being "forced" to do something about our WP now anyhow,
>we want to kill two birds with one stone by switching now to a Windows
>program--one that will still work when DOS is eliminated from Windows.
>So, the big question is, is XyWin pretty much a DOS program (Xy4) with a
>Windows interface? If so, the implication is that it would not run in a
>Windows environment once DOS is finally eliminated. Likewise, the Client
>32 problem may still be in effect (although I'm getting a system set up
>to test that). So if someone could address what kind of application XyWin
>really is and/or make an educated guess as to how it might behave in a
>Windows environment without DOS, I think that's really where this needs
>to go.

As a more general inquiry, since many of us will no doubt be facing
similar situations in the next few years, it would be great if someone
-- from TTG even? -- could explain how it is that a Win16 program will
still be able to work where DOS will not. This is hardly germane to
your inquiry, Timothy, but enquiring minds want to know.

Rafe T.
raphaelt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ray-field.com