Checked out 4

I get the feeling that XyWrite 4 rules on the List and 3.5 is out, but will
I own both and so will venture a few opinions on both to get some feelers.

I have already received several great tips, including links to the XWWWeb
Page. Good stuff.

Also, several closet 3.5 users mailed me---I address most of these remarks
to them.

I get the feeling that most XyWrite users are less likely to "cluster"
because every longtime XyWrite user that I have known----and there have
been precious few in my 10 years of XyWrite use, has customized the program
to the hilt.

I never used XyWrite stock----I remapped my keyboard from day one to
resemble the old PCWrite program I had used for several years before, and
had forgotten that I had done so until several years ago when my son played
heck trying to type a paper on my machine using the keyboard layout in the
XyWriteIII Plus manual.

Anyway, this flexibility is the heart of XyWrite's appeal.

Several people wrote me offline to ask how I used the program. I am a
pastor in Winston-Salem, N.C. For ten years I used it for all my
writing---academic papers, dissertation, sermons, memoirs, letters, etc.
XyWrite, PCTools 5.5 & Quick Verse constituted my whole software arsenal
for almost 10 years. Now days, I use XyWrite mostly as an HTML authoring
tool...though it is still my "quick and dirty" word processor on my extra
286's. It is just so easy to use the ALT keys with the SGTS and then MErge
anything else that one needs out of a file. Editing in multiple windows is
nice, too. Nothing else comes close.

Now---if I may risk a few more question. I added a H-P LaserJet Series II
after buying Xywrite III PLUS 3.51. I wrote the company and they told me
how to set up my printer files to use the HP softfonts. This worked fine as
long as I downloaded "permanent" fonts to my printer using a batch file to
send over a file that I had already made up in an HP utility called PCLPAK.
The short of it is that my copy of PCLPAK has long since crashed and---for
XyWrite III, I am stuck with just a few fonts in the old font files on my
hard drive.

Thanks to Win95 I have lots of fonts. Does anyone out there no how to
download them as permanant softfonts in an HP Series II? I would, of
course, also need the codes for my XyWrite printer files laserp.prn and
laserl.prn. I'm willing to buy a utility for said downloading if anyone
knows of one. Windows took off at about this time, so I was left behind in
the DOS world. Some folks on my staff used Word Perfect---but it seemed to
download its fonts as "temporary," thus taking forever to print. I want
mine to be permanent.

Interesting note-----I have called HP repeatedly and no one there even
remembers the old PCLPAK utility. I suppose all the old hands are working
somewhere else now---or in upper management. Any how, sing out if you can
help.

Thanks again,

Worth Green