Re: XYcons, Vista, TweakUAC

peregrine@xxxxxxxx wrote:
OK, here's a link to download TweakUAC for Vista. If the information Brian found is correct, that would be the Vista equivalent of TweakUI.
No, it just handles one annoyance, and that is one that can be
fixed in Vista itself (I already did it, but don't remember how):
a blasted Nanny-prompt that keeps popping up demanding that you
increase your admin rights (even when you're already logged in as
admin) to do something.
All this to change an icon! I'm happier with Linux every moment!
Yes, well, that's where I would be if I weren't so busy helping
other hapless Windows users . And if I could find some decent
Linux docs.
Mendelson's page, which I just took a look at, has some
interesting info. He maintains that the classic Net Use method of
printing to USB under DOS won't work under Vista, and I'm pretty
sure he's right, because Vista seems to have made a LOT of
changes to the networking modules. For one thing, it appears to
require a router. I couldn't get it to recognize my home network
(2 PCs and a switch, and I was running the desktop under XP,
being sure 98SE would cause problems). There was definitely a
hardware connection, because it kept trying to dial out over my
desktop's modem. But it couldn't see the XP box, and XP couldn't
see it (Tried PING.) But the office network, which has a router
(though no broadband connection), was instantly recognized
(after, of course, I changed the workgroup name). Vista
apparently cannot believe anyone would network a couple of PCs
and NOT use one of them for a broadband connection.
The statements about EMS memory are more iffy. My shortcut to Xy
(the one with the plain paper icon) does allow EMS memory on its
pif properties page (see my previous post); it's just DOS prompts
(command.com or cmd.exe) that don't have them (in 98Se,
command.com does, kmd.exe doesn't; will check XP next time I'm in
it). And the Something-Magic page referenced there seemed to be
contradicting itself.
I found a couple of other people trying to change the icon for
DOS apps under Vista and not getting anywhere on various forums.
So we're not the only diehards. But Xy seems to have fewer
problems under Vista than WordPerfect DOS. (Haven't tried TYP
yet; need a surge suppressor and the local stores are
understocked and overpriced.) At least if you're willing to run
in Windowed mode (which I've always done). And Jerky cursor seems
much less on the Vista laptop than on the W2K desktop at the
office. Go figure.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx