Windows vs DOS XyWrite vs the future?

> After using XyWrite III+ and subsequently XyWrite 4 for DOS on
> a 286 machine, I've recently bought a Windows-capable 486SX.
> This means that I would now be able to run XyWrite for Windows,
> should I wish to do so. I would be interested in other users'
> views and experiences -- especially those of users who have tried
> both versions -- as to the advantages and disadvantages of moving
> to the Windows version.

 Haven't tried the XYWin version yet, but I'm tempted. Just to see what it's
like more than anything else. I didn't like the looks of it when I got the
upgrade notice, but I've found from this list that you can change that to the
full screen of text, so I might try it. On the other hand, XYDOS works just
fine, and most Windoz programs are a pain to use 'cause they are so slow to
load.
  Also, if you are considering XYWin, please do yourself a favour and install
OS/2 first. You can get the OS/2 For Windoz at Egghead for just
$15-25 and OS/2 is absolutely marvelous compared to dos/windoz. All the
problems that people have complained about here using XY and Windoz don't
exiest with OS/2 and XY, such as copying to the clipboard, etc. Actually,
I never could stand windoz before -- always used Desqview/Quemm with both my
286 and 386. For taskswitching, that is much preferable to windoz -- and, after
all, windoz is not a multi-tasking system, only a quick task-switcher, which
doesn't handle dos apps very well. Desqview is better, but OS/2 is aeons ahead
of either, for both dos and windoz apps, and, of course, runs 32-bit,
multithreaded OS/2 apps also, which make dos/windoz apps look pretty sick in
comparison. Sigh! When, oh when, will we see a 32-bit, multithreaded XY?
  Makes me think that XY, as much as I love it, will be left behind. We now
have 32-bit hardware all over the place, and 64-bit hardware on the market, and
any developer who sticks with a antiquated 16-bit system like dos and/or windoz
is doomed. And those 16-bit apps can't just be simply ported over to 32/64-bit
OSes, but must be completely re-written to actually take advantage of their
power. Sure -- XY runs great on my 486 under OS/2 -- much better than under
dos. But my next computer is going to be a Power-PC, and I'm going to be
running both Pen apps and voice-recognition apps. Where will XY fit into that?
  Are you listening, TTG? I've been a XyWrite user since '87, and wouldn't
switch to any of those crappy products like turdperfect or ms-turd, but Lotus
is coming along with Ami-Pro for OS/2. People tell me it's quite nice, and
Lotus does seem to be headed in the right direction.
  BTW, just as an aside, isn't MS a disease of the nervous system? No wonder
windoz seems like a virus with an interface.

Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx seaverh@xxxxxxxx

<> "The Way of the Samurai is death." - Jocho Yamamoto 1710 Hagakure <>
<> "Let no man's life stand in the way -- especially your own."    <>
<>                    Miyamoto Musashi 1584-1645  <>
<> "The fundamental delusion of humanity is to suppose that I am here <>
<> and you are out there."              Yasutani Roshi  <>