Re: Latest U2

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Fri, 15 Feb
2008 11:28:52 -0800

Harry:

> I have personalized my U2 a bit, so I am a bit hesitant to just
> replace my September 15, 2007 version with the "code refresh"
> unless you think there's a definite value in doing so. I.e., I
> don't know what "code refresh" means.

I just ran LISTDIFF, and there are 75 differences --
tweaks, fixes, additions, etc., etc. -- between the earlier version
and the later one. Since the revisions are mine, I must plead guilty
to "definite value", at least for me. As I have little idea of how
you use U2, I can't say whether there would be value-added for you.

But, really, there's no need to choose between your code and ours.
Here's what to do: Collect all of the frames that you've customized,
and any you've written from scratch, into a single contiguous block
and position it at the *top* of the file (just below the ";U2;" file
ID). Delete the rest of the file, and MErge the new version of U2
underneath your customized frames. Issue LOADHELP to make
the changes permanent.

Why do this? By moving your stuff to the top of the file, you ensure
that your changes take precedence over ours (because if there are
two or more identically named frames in a U2 file -- or any Help
file -- the one nearest the top is executed and the rest are
ignored). Your customizations remain intact, yet you get the benefit
of our new frames and our revisions to existing frames (other than
the ones you've modified). If ever you want to try our (later)
versions of the frames you've customized, that's easy, too. Just
move your block of customized frames to the *bottom* of U2, and
issue LOADHELP. Now, our versions of those frames will be
the active ones.

Make sense? Try it. The result will be worry-free, no-brainer code
refreshes. Or, as we say on The Page, "No thinking required
(almost)!"

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx