Re: VM Blues

At 22/08/2014 16:17, you wrote:
Another Paul Bunyan sized thumbs down for Win 8, if you're asking me.

Well, apart from interface annoyances, the code base is thought to be of higher quality than Win 7. I expect Win 9 will get all the elements working together.

Bill, I had thought that at least a couple of the VM solutions we've been discussing here _did have_ an Auto-Save backup feature ?

Looking into this further, apparently VM Player does not have snapshot capabilities, except perhaps with hacking. You have to get the paid version, Workstation, or whatever it's called, to get snapshots. Even then, according to my limited reading, you can only save one snapshot at a time.

As I've said before, I'd be using VirtualBox but I wanted XyWrite to work perfectly, and the directory problem prevented that. Of course we now thanks to Carl have some workarounds for that, so I may switch back to to VBox, but it's a nuisance when everything else was working so smoothly. Or I could just get the paid version of VMware.

Re search, one thing one desperately needs in Win 8 is the equivalent of Win 7's 'search in Search Results' (i.e., whatever you have told it to index). Getting there in Win 8 is not intuitive but I have discovered that if one types 'Search Results' in the 'url bar' of Explorer, that gets you to precisely (?) the Win 7 equivalent. What I have disliked since XP is the inability to search contents of files without extension, of which I have plenty. In spite of knowing perfectly well how doltish it is, I still create filenames without extension, though only in XyWrite. I love them!

I'll have a look at the program you mentioned.

Meanwhile, I saw a mention somewhere online that Win 9 may be coming out in the next several months, and that MS supposedly learned something from their fiasco with Win 8.  I wouldn't care to wager much on that.  Hope we can keep 7 going for another few years.  It has some issues (*), but overall is pretty decent.  I don't want to have to start thinking about virtualizing 7 inside of something later.  They may have run out of road on this OS, after 7.

[* From Day One with Win 7, I've been thoroughly disgusted with it's puny, cryptic, exasperating Search function.  It's a whole lot worse than the animated dog in XP, which you could get rid of with TweakUI, leaving behind a solid search feature.  After a quick pass with Google, I found a few alternatives.  I just installed this open source one

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/filesearchclassic/ http://sourceforge.net/projects/filesearchclassic/

which looks like it might be the replacement I wanted.]

   Jordan