Re: Answer Found Re: How get Xy to use network printer

At 04:14 PM 11/25/2007, you wrote:
I think there's some sort of underlying fault with the software on the computer related to networking

Here's a long shot: have you turned off some required "service"? Run SERVICES.MSC and sort by "status"--then look at what's marked "disabled" to see if any of them pertain to networking. If so, try enabling them.

I was trying to avoid rehashing this problem, because I see this more as a computer rather than a XyWrite issue, but here goes:

In my attempts to solve my nonworking "net use LPT1" command, I had found something online about services.msc, and while nothing is disabled, there is clearly something up with the Workstation service. It's enabled, but can't be started/restarted. This is confirmed by "net start workstation" at a command prompt, which also gives me "error 2250."

When I chased 2250 down through Help and Support, it told me to "sc query" the service, which yielded the  following:

>>C:\Documents and Settings\Paul>sc query workstation
[SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus:OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.<<

I don't know whether this is the source of my "net use lpt1" problem or not, but tonite as I was again reviewing some of the internet sources I'd referred to in the past, I came across something I hadn't found before; it was a description of the Workstation service that made it sound like a good candidate for the problem.

Another online suggestion I found some time before said that upgrading to Great Plains 8.0 (which I'd never heard of, and am not running) could mess with the registry with respect to Workstation and Server services, and interfere with file and printer sharing. It seemed worth checking out anyway, so I double-checked to see that I had wkssvc.dll and srvsvc.dll in the right place (\Windows\system32\) and that they were in the registry at the right place. On the face of it, everything looked fine.

It's possible that wkssvc.dll is somehow corrupted. And having said that, perhaps I'll remember tomorrow to copy it from my portable to this machine and see if it makes a difference.

But as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't pay to try to fix a problem that's been solved in other ways.

Hey, that's not the spirit that created America! Well, maybe it is, but still . . .

Well, my people immigrated to Canada first (back in the days when immigration was called colonizing and Canada was New France), and came to the US later, so maybe that accounts for my spiritual problem. How much should I bang my head against the wall before I get tired of it, eh?

Any insights, re the computer (not Canada), welcome--

-pl

Paul Lagasse
PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347
pglagasse@xxxxxxxx

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie