From: Bill Troop
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, March 8, 2014 6:03 AM
Subject: Re: Staying with XP after April 8 2014 (was Win 7 vs Win 8)

> Longer term, I'm hoping that Nota Bene will be our salvation.

Is there any evidence that Nota Bene will ever support OpenType fully or even Unicode fully? Will NotaBene modernize sufficiently to support fine typography at even the level of Word?

There was a time when XyWrite/Nota Bene led the field on book production/typesetting features. I often think it's a pity that it hasn't continued to evolve in those directions.

. . .

Regarding XP to Win 7, I would say that the transition takes about an hour. 7 is much easier to use, and really is easier on the eye. One thing to note, however: while it is easily possible in XP to search for files that have no extension - - something which some XyWriters, including me, alas, have got into the bad habit of doing - - MS search facilities after XP (Vista and onwards) do not have a mechanism for search-indexing files without extension names, so some other form of file-search becomes obligatory. That said, I am finding that there Win 8.1 may have finally brought back some limited ability to index and quicly search for files without extensions.