Re: built-in rules

In regard to language and hard-wiring.

At 06:26 AM 5/25/2005, David Auerbach wrote:
I have no idea what you mean by "(or ontological)". If you go look at the nice popular expositions (like The Atoms of Language) you'll see that what is "hard-wired" is a language faculty that specifies underlying, quite abstract rules, of grammar.
OR "what is 'hard-wired'" is a disposition to learn in a certain manner--say, what some psychologists speak of as "constructivist"--which learners leaping to apparent regularities, trying them out and attending to the feedback, and then incorporating those that pan out in an emerging structure. And relevant here is the fact that we are an intensely social species--with a strong (apparently biological !) disposition to attend really carefully to each other and to try an read meaning in each other's actions, noises, looks, and speech. The notion that we are born with "hard-wired" grammatical rules--vs., say, some ways of understanding action coupled with some dispositions about representing action in thought and communication--is open to argument. And, maybe "vs." other approaches as well. The approach to "learning" embodied in many Transformationalist discussions is naive; there is much more out there than the behaviorism which often has gotten used as a kind of 'straw man'. There also exists a problem with what one means by "hard-wired": ranging from result> all the way to . Until ideas like "innate" are tied to actual biological mechanisms--and until the action of those biological mechanisms is understood--attributions of regularities to hard-wiring have a kind of "deus ex machina" quality that rings a little specious.
Local exposure (not "learning" in any interesting sense*) sets switches determining which of a limited number of languages that brain will settle on. That's mostly about syntax, settling some very basic issues that determine whether your speaking Spanish or Chinese.
A limited "number"--or a limited set of types ? There exist examples such as American Sign Language (ASL: deaf signing in USA) which do push the envelope a bit--though there certainly do exist real limits on the range of variability--and suggest that some of the regularities we see in spoken language represent responses to functional properties of the medium.
There are also some nice experiments showing that the phoneme set is present pre-verbally in 3-month old kids. And, of course, as I said in a earlier email on this, the particular sound-meaning correlations (berliner,etc.) are arbitrary; it's the rules that aren't. A language just like English except that potato means apple and apple means potato *is* English (for these purposes). The head-nod thing is a nice example of the difference between an abstract feature being hardwired versus some local determination of its realization. Hypothesis: what is hard-wired is that some pair of simple head movements will end up expressing yes/no. I have no idea if that hypothesis is correct (I could give a just-so story about it to make it plausible, but so could you), but it is consistent with the data and yet makes head-shakes hardwired in the requisite sense. David Auerbach Department of Philosophy & Religion Box 8103 NCSU Raleigh, NC 27695-8103 On May 25, 2005, at 3:17 AM, flash wrote:
snip snip David B. Kronenfeld Phone Office 951 827-4340 Department of Anthropology Message 951 827-5524 University of California Fax 951 827-5409 Riverside, CA 92521 email david.kronenfeld@xxxxxxxx Department: http://Anthropology.ucr.edu/ Personal: http://pages.sbcglobal.net/david-judy/david.html Society for Anthropological Sciences: http://anthrosciences.org/index