Re: Mouse wheel is now supported in vDos-lfn

Hi Jordan,

The mouse wheel feature in vDos-lfn does not require the standard mouse features to be enabled by setting MOUSE=ON, so it is a separate feature. It basically functions very similar to how the mouse wheel works in Windows, so it should be very familiar to Windows users. As for choosing 2015.11 vs 2016.06 branches of vDos-lfn -- in general the 2015.11 branch of vDos-lfn probably works better for XyWrite, but the 2016.06 branch of vDos-lfn might have slightly better performance sometimes, and the additional features I added to the 2015.11 branch of vDos-lfn are present in the 2016.06 branch of vDos-lfn as well, so you won't miss any of these features by using either one of the two branches. In fact, as you already mentioned you don't need to "choose" one of them at all -- they surely can work in parallel, even in the same directory (but using different names for the vDos-lfn executables). Hope this helps.

Wengier

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 12:15 PM, J R FOX wrote:

I've long had both CU/CD and LU/LD present in my keyboard table, but I don't recall ever using -- or even trying to use -- the mouse wheel in native XyWrite, with either Xy-3 or Xy4.  The mouse was basically not in the picture.  In fact, I thought Xy was only very minimally mouse aware, if at all.  (But, I suppose it *had to be*, at least somewhat: remember the "A La Carte Menus" option, that I think relatively few users ever bothered with ?)  So I will be approaching this without relevant experience or expectations.  If VDOS can now expand these options in useful ways, that will be welcome.

While I'm at it, I could stand some reminder or summation, because I think there were put forward some *other* Pros & Cons on choosing the '2016' package vs. the '2015' one -- and vice versa.  Functional differences perhaps right up through the recent Color Table discussions.  I would benefit from a list of what is gained or lost, in making that choice.  Or maybe we don't even have to choose, by virtue of some parallel installations setup ?

   Jordan

From: Kari Eveli
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 2:49 AM
Subject: Re: Mouse wheel is now supported in vDos-lfn

Hello Wengier,

These features are indeed great and do work.

One question: when I roll up and down in the word processor the cursor
jumps to the left margin. When I use up and down arrows, I stay in the
same column. I have "lu" and "ld" in my Xy keyboard table. The Xy
keyboard functions "cu" and "cd" should mimick what the mouse wheel
does. I have never used those but tried them now with "func ##" from the
command line. It seems that "cu" does not work in NB3, it moves the
cursor downwards just like "cd". I have found a bug in NB3! We need a
patch for the EXE! Can this be traced down by comparing other Xy
editions? Do they work?

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)