From: "Harry Binswanger"

Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:10 PM
Subject: RE: A very basic printing question re XY3

(Atlas Shrugged, p. 1031)
I love this Harry. How utterly shocking it must have seemed to an American society which was still in 1957 filled with constitutional and very dear do-gooders of a type now apparently extinct. Still, we can, fifty years on, see a problem with Atlas. It came just the other day, when Alan Greenspan went to explain the meltdown to Congress . . . and he shrugged!
Yeah, Greenspan is a piece of work. To name drop: I met him several times in the 60s, and I was at one party at Ayn Rand's apartment that Greenspan attended. I think he really did care personally for her, in the early days. But as early as 1970, I decided he had sold out (on the basis of a speech he gave that year). And his Congressional testimony--"don't blame me, blame freedom"--was the last step in a long, long series of betrayals of Ayn Rand. So, the problem is not with "Atlas" but with the regulatory state. How come the one million (count 'em: one million) regulations didn't prevent this crisis? How come Greenspan's Fed gets a free pass, when it created the overly cheap mortgages? I know you're waiting for my solution to the crisis, so here it is. De-regulate. The best short-term measure, for the pivotal issue of housing, would be: open the doors to immigration. Currently, we let in 500,000 annually. Let's ten-tuple that to 5,000,000 annually, and they will bid our real-estate prices back up. Think about it. I've heard the slogan we should use: "Buy a house, get a Green Card." Restrictions on immigration are immoral anyway. People don't qualify as criminals because they reside in a "foreign" country. Immigration barriers violate individual rights. Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx