Re: Conversion to/from MS Word

At 08:10 AM 12/15/98 -0500, Eric Van Tassel wrote:

>Using XyDOS (4.017) and XyWin (4.12) and MS Word 6.0a, I've found that if I
>use "Save As" to convert a file from XyWin to MS Word, I lose a great many
>formatting features (I won't itemize what features don't get carried over
>unless our gurus ask for details).
>
>Any advice will be welcomed.

At 08:10 AM 12/15/98 -0500, Eric Van Tassel wrote:
>I need some advice
>
>Using XyDOS (4.017) and XyWin (4.12) and MS Word 6.0a, I've found that if I
>use "Save As" to convert a file from XyWin to MS Word, I lose a great many
>formatting features (I won't itemize what features don't get carried over
>unless our gurus ask for details).

Eric, I doubt that this will tell you anything you don't know. So far as I
could
see, formatting in the XyWrite file must be quite limited if it is to carry
over
in a conversion. Any more complex formatting had better be done in Word.
And Styles, from the responses here, is no way out.

The attachment has a note I wrote myself last fall--trying to anticipate what
I'll be in for if I have a client that uses only Word. (I have the same
versions
of XyDOS, XyWin, and Word.) It has to do with a few of the adjustments I must
make in a XyW file before running the conversion.

Maybe there's something there you can use.

Regards,
Robert Hemenway
robhem@xxxxxxxx
CONVERTING XYWRITE TO MS WORD

The best and most reliable conversion to MS Word I have found is in XyWrite Save as, with the most
recent WFW file: WFW49T.DLL (for XyWin) or WFW49T.EXE (for Xy4), dated 05-06-96.

This seems to work well as long as formatting remains fairly simple and straightforward. I haven't
tried with footnotes, tables, snaking columns, etc., or with redline.

A few adjustments have to be made:

--Disable the OF delta with OF0,0 at the head of the file

--Set margins with LM 10 and RM 73.

--Run CI /[267]/[263]/. The apostrophe/close single quote is not converted correctly. Has to be
changed to the right single guillemet, which is converted to the Word apostrophe/close single quote.
The other printer's quotes are right. (I have the printer's quotes on the keyboard and use them
routinely.)

--Delete the LL delta. Conversion doesn't pick it up. The standard automatic leading in Word
corresponds exactly to XyWrite's.

--Delete PG, NB, and BB deltas. Repaginate in Word if that's appropriate. (In Word Ctrl + Enter is
page break; it's CA + Enter in Xy).

--Delete any conditional hyphens.

--Check deltas at top of the Xy file to make sure there are no errors.

Put these in a program file.

Headers are picked up by the conversion. The em and en dashes are picked up. I see no need to change
nonbreakable space to normal space.

-----

And reset basic horizontal and vertical settings to match Wordþs: LM, BT, WD, OP, TS. The
XyWrite defaults, as I recall, match the Word defaults.