Re: RE spooling

At 2/4/2004 11:37 AM -0500, Patricia M Godfrey wrote:
That business of "new hardware found" is one of the known (but not much
commented-on) "features" of Windoesn't. Try NOT turning the printer on
until the PC is up and Windows fully loaded. The port you will have to
let it reinstall, I fear. The different kinds of port are just that:
different hardware configurations. (After all, if you had bought an
add-in parallel card--as I had to in the case of the not-quite EPP
port--, Windows would call that New Hardware.) But Windows has a bad
habit of trying to reinstall printers if they're on when it loads. M$
claims that's because they "weren't installed correctly the first time."
Yes, well, it was M$'s "Install Wizard" that did the installing, so they
should know.
Thanks very much, Patricia. Good tip. BTW the IEEE 1284 cable also improved
the transfer speed. A caution: cable comes in three configurations, A, B,
C, depending on the type of connection. HP wanted B, but the connections on
C were the same. Yes, I got the wrong one, A, the first time out.
michael.norman@xxxxxxxx