Re: OT: Zone Alarm

But I'm amazed at how wide open things are, in most
urban areas. Most people have no idea, or don't care.
All of these routers were broadcasting their names
And all of them had "Password" as their passwords, I'll bet. Last
time I tired to use the library Access Point, there were three
other networks there besides the library's. And SOMETHING (the
librarian hadn't a clue and kept insisting it must be some
setting in my PC; which it could have been, but when I asked the
paper's real tech, he thought not) was preventing me from using
the library network to go on the Internet; only local access
allowed. Looked to me like some cracker hoping to lure careless
users to use HIS AP (and hand over lots of data).
Anybody know how far a wireless AP's radio broadcasts? There are
one or two wireless networks visible from my flat. It's not the
business downstairs, because I asked/warned them. Could an AP
next door (pretty close, the buildings are only 30-odd feet wide
and almost touch) be visible here? Up one flight?

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx