Mouse Madness

Since working with 4.014, I don't seem to be able to make use of the mouse,
which worked fine under SIG and the initial release of XY-Dos -- right out of
the box. (The mouse is a 3-button Logitech bus mouse, circa 1989, and I'm
using v. 6 of their mouse drivers, which is probably a year or two old at this
point.) What I'm getting is hair-trigger sensitivity. Even the slightest
motion causes a long stacatto run-on of diamond characters at the CM. I know of
the Mouse Sensitivity value that is present in SETTINGS.DFL, but what does the
number mean, and what is a more appropriate value for me to plug in, *if* that
is the likely fix?