Re: Xy4 Instability

On Thu, 6 Apr 1995 08:35:48 -0500 (CDT) you wrote:

>  One of the biggest problems these days with XY is it's inability to deal
>with long names and interenet files (unix files actually) that appear on the
>screen without any formatting --- emacs, or OS/2's editor.exe handle them
>properly, why can't XY. The long file names just can't be called at all, of
>course. It makes XY seem like something out of the distant past.

Harmon, I thought short filenames is DOS's problem not XyWrite's?
Maybe they could do us OS/2-ers a favor and permit Xy to
recognize long filenames on HPFS drives--wouldn't be hard to do I
think.  I'm not sure what you mean by the unix file problem, but
I would guess you mean the different convention about lineends; I
just hit one of my fixit keys and varoom, it's fixed. (one of
the many advantages of Xy4 over Xy3 is the better control of
special characters like line feed; changing line feeds to LF/CR
is a cinch and can be done directly from the commandline with no
fancy SPL like in the old days).