Re: WinXP

"Young For Life Products, Ltd" wrote:

> for purchasing/info on eCS, go to:
>
> http://www.prismdataworks.com/ecs/
>
> one word of warning about eCS: it won't drive a lot of printers - that is,
> winprinters, such as Canon bubble jets. Epson Quill works fine, as would, I
> think, any HP.
>
> Charles

I don't think the Winprinters have completely taken over yet. Generally
speaking, they are going to be the cheaper ones; the higher up you go in a
printer line, the less likely it is to be a Winprinter. Somehow, I have
managed to accumulate 3 color (inkjet) printers, in addition to my HP laser for
b&w work. There is the Epson Stylus 800 -- which I may have accidentally
messed up -- that was quite good for graphics but has been replaced by newer
models. Then a Lexmark Optra-40, a more recent but still non-current model.
And finally a Xerox C-20, which is actually the Lexmark Optra-45 inside a
better, wide-carriage housing. Not a Win-printer in the lot, and workable
drivers for OS/2 as well as Xy were purchase pre-requisites for me. (The
Lexmarks are said to use a Xy printer file for the HP Deskjet, though I've
barely tested this.)

You might occasionally see leftover stock of the Optras or Xeroxes for sale on
ebay. The Xerox printers are easier to find, and at drastic discounts from
their original selling price, ever since Xerox took a bath in the printer biz.
If you have any need for a fancy network printer, check out the network version
of the one I got, the NC-20. It has a built-in NIC, can take lots of
additional memory, even a hard-drive. Pretty hard to touch that feature set
for anywhere near the $$.

Jordan