NW=?? in settings.dfl

On my previous computer, running Xydos 4.014 and with NW=2
in settings.dfl, I can:

1. Call a file from the directory to a new window while
keeping the directory in the old window, and

2. both store/save the file AND close the window by issuing
ST .

The current computer, running 4.018, refuses to do this no
matter what the NW setting, and the Customization Guide
seems to think it's not possible.

But there's my old computer still doing it the way I want
it, regardless of what the Customization Guide says.

The current computer runs Win98 and Dos7; the old computer
uses Dos6 and something like Win3.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting the current computer
to do both
1 & 2, above?

Thanks

Judith Davidsen