Re: Off topic: Latin plurals

http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/324/7352/1516/a

BMJ 2002;324:1516 ( 22 June )

Filler
One hundred years ago

The classics in preliminary examinations

Sir - Your article in the British Medical Journal of February 15th, and Sir
William Gairdner's letter of the same date, defend Latin learning as a
necessity for the proper use of English. It is on that ground that both you
and he require its retention.

That view I disbelieve. Newspapers show us that plenty of men who have had
a classical education write execrable English. It is equally certain that
many write excellently who have had no such training. To write well is to
write clearly, to write clearly it chiefly needs to think clearly, and
clear thinking is to be gained by many other studies than the learning of
Latin.

All men allow that the classics are a fine mental training, and an
introduction to cultivated pleasures. That is, however, no reason for
claiming that they stand alone. When you and I, sir, were young they formed
the only liberal education. It seems doubtful, to judge by the present
dispute, if the education was as liberal as we supposed.I am, etc.,

Wimpole Street, W., Feb. 17th.

W. P. HERRINGHAM.

(BMJ 1902;i:485)

Norman Bauman