Re: scrambled text

≪ I'll point out that Bob Zimmerman posted code that
in xyW via unix elm was hopelessly scrambled ... ≫ --me

≪ Just curious--what did the my post look like? Once I know
what got scrambled, I can try and send it again in a manner
that is readable. ≫ --Bob Zimmerman

Hi, Bob. If you post text that strays outside the 'net's
ascii 32-127 range you can be sure that some platforms
will garble it. Various xylist subscribers use various
conventions for xpl pseudocode, usually substituting
≪ ≫ or < > or { } for guillemets. E.g.:

savecm.pm (&I saves the text on the command line to a save/get):
	{sx979,{is00}}{ex}
and getcm.pm (@I returns the text back to the command line):
	BC {pv979}GT {ex}

In xyWrite via unix elm, your
reads:
	[171]SX979,[171]IS00[187][187][171]EX[187]
and
becomes:
	BC [171]PV979[187]GT [171]EX[187]
(where [171] is the 1/2 char--½ to your reader?--
ascii 171, and [187] is the IBM extended char set's
unreproducible line drawing char ascii 187).

As for the code itself, its virtue is ingenuity. Blew
my mind when I first encountered its like in The Book.
The flaw is that it fails to repair the damage xyWrite
inflicts on multibyte chars in the CMline string when
{sx979,{is00}}. I lived with that too till Robert Holmgren's
ground-breaking work and generous advice helped me slay
that particular dragon. !xyWise (at the url in my sig)
&C fixes the chars that xyW breaks in {is00}, and goes
on to record for use when {is00} is reconstructed the
rest of the pre-launch xystate that xyW3 doesn't preserve
as variables: CMline cursor position, insert/overstrike
state, and--with kind help from Carl Distefano--
CMline/text cursor location. ...

http://www.escape.com/%7Eyesss/_xypro.html ============================