Re: XyWrite history?

I started using XyWrite with version II around 1982. As I recall, it
came on one floppy, and the editor.exe was 45,000 bytes. I'm not at all
certain if there ever was a XyWrite I.

I have a lot of the old application notes and newsletters put together
by XyQuest, and can poke around in them for tidbits of what version
added what feature, but I think it was something like this:

II+ added the ability to redefine the keyboard, onscreen color (?).

III added a spell-checker and a menu system called "a-la carte menus."
The menu system was based on XPL embeded in the help file - I had
already spent many long and enjoyable hours playing with the help file
to create my own menus. I think III also had a re-written keyboard
handling system so you could use XyWrite with "popup" programs like
Sidekick.

III+ added proportional spacing to the printer files (remember, old
printers used to do monospaced printing. With the advent of laser
printers, proportional spacing of text using variable width fonts became
important. I think III+ was the version that added back the autoreplace
feature, at least in a later version.

Work was well underway on XyWrite IV when IBM came along and turned it
into Signature. This version added graphic view, editable WYSIWYG
graphic screens, an elaborate menu system, and lots of other goodies.
The editable graphic screen never was useful to me, and I found
Signature (XyGnature, as I called it) to be unbearably slow compared to
III+. A lot of us felt the same way, although there was a Signature
1.03 version that addressed the speed issue somewhat. I still have a
bunch of Signature manuals with little XyQuest stickers over the IBM
logos. Signature was originally scheduled to be released in DOS,
Windows, and OS/2 versions. I understand an OEM OS/2 version of
Signature existed at one time, but was never released publically.

At least up to Verion III+, XyWrite was readily available at retail
stores and via mail order. XyWrite used to advertise in the trade press
(PC Week, PC Magazine).  I don't think I ever saw any marketing or
advertising for Signature or later versions.

After XyQuest withered away, TTG bought the remains and came out with
XyWrite IV. Much of the internal code of XyGnature was re-written with
a lot of speed improvements. Version IV also had a really crappy
installation program which gave lots of us fits. Later, TTG released
Ibid and Orbis for XyWrite IV. I have the manuals to this day. I got
Ibid to work fairly well, but it never was as good as the Ibidem
features of Nota Bene (which I use today).

The final iteration of XyWrite was XyWrite for Windows, released around
1991 or 1992. It worked about as well as any Windows 3.1 program did,
which is to say not very well. It was still light years faster than
word perfect for windows or Word for windows. With additional
development, it might have gone somewhere. Alas, it was left to wither
on the vine.

Steve Crutchfield
>>> kzfisher@xxxxxxxx 8/5/2005 5:24:02 PM >>>
I am a history buff, including computer history - Beginning my own
journey with the PC in 1986, I am amazed at the progression and yes
regression of system & software technology. For some odd reason I
find the history of word processing software especially intriguing.

I arrived late to the XyWrite scene (circa 2000) so wasn't along for
the journey when it was sold new. I love this classic pinacle of word

processing, using daily for various projects. I was wondering if
anyone could help me with my own little project of a highlight (&
lowlight) abbreviated history of XyWrite over the past two plus
decades.

Here's what I have thus far - additions, corrections, & revisions
welcomed:

1982 - David Erickson writes code for XyWrite based on Atex (is this
considered XyWrite version 1?)

1983 - Erickson et al start XyQuest in Billerica, MA - What version
was the first sold by XyQuest to consumers?

DATE? release of XyWrite II - details?

1985? release of XyWrite III -

1989? release of XyWrite III+ (what made it "+"?)

Sept 1990 XyWrite III+ revision (downgrade) due to patent
infringement lawsuit threat -

1990 XyQuest deal with IBM to produce "Signature" - after 1.5 years
project ends (was it ever released as "Signature" to consumers?)

1992 XyWrite IV (debugged release of "Signature")

1992 The Technology Group of Baltimore, MD buys XyQuest - continues
marketing XyWrite IV & offering support

1993-94 TTG releases XyWrite for Windows - (any versions or revisions

known?)

2001 TTG closes shop

? current - remnants of XyWrite remain in Nota Bene word processor pgm.

Deputy Director for Staff Analysis and Communications
Food and Rural Economics Division
USDA Economic Research Service
202-694-5406 (Office)
202-641-5978 (Cell)