Re: Collapsible outline

When I work on a book chapter, I am not looking for everything
that a collapsible outline will, but I do want a clear view of
the structure and an indication of how long each section is. For
that purpose, I put a table of contents on the first page, with
index entries and cross-references that provide constantly
updating page numbers. I can then get to the pertinent headings
easily. For instance, in the attached snippet from a real book
chapter which contains sections and subsections, if the
page-number cross-reference for the section on "Macrocosm and
Microcosms" is , I can search for "LBmacr" to go to it.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science