A4 / Rotating of text

The Xy3 manual describes how to use the embedded command PC to send a control string to a printer.
Control strings are used to communicate directly to a printer and, among other things, can be used
to (1) set the paper size; (2) change the orientation/direction of what is being printed (two
issues that have come up on the list in the last few days). Control strings are case sensitive. Several years ago we got an HP4si printer in our department. It accepts print jobs using both PCL and Postscript. It came with an extensive manual. The manual describes various PCL printer commands that can be sent with a print job. One of these sets the paper size. The following escape sequence sets the paper size to A4: {ASCII 17}&l26A The following escape sequence (re)sets the print direction so that text following is at 90 degrees different: {ASCII 17}&a90P One could send repeated escape sequences to have the text print right, up, upside-down, then down (i.e., in a box shape). Or, one could use different values of 180 or 270 (according to the manual, it only works in 90-degree increments). I'm not sure of the syntax for sending these escape sequences (I've deleted the files from years ago where I played around with making the text start out left-to-right, then go straight up), but I believe you just issue the command PC followed by the argument (the escape sequences listed above) at the place in the file where you want the formatting to change/begin. So for the A4 that would be at the beginning of the file. For rotating text it would be at whatever point the new direction of text should begin. Good luck, and may your printer accept PCL! --TLO Timothy_Olson@xxxxxxxx (630) 784-5327 >>> Morris Krok 11/27/00 07:14AM >>> from Morris essence@xxxxxxxx Thanks Tim. Robert Hemenway also suggests Click Books. I have also been told that PageMaker should have the answer.

 For XyWrite to be able to achieve the layout that I desire, it should have the function to rotate text 180 degrees. It does not appear that it presently has this ability. I doubt if Click Books is still available but will check up on the web. With regards