Mapping shift keys

Myron Gochnauer notes:

>> I created a keyboard table called SELECT and attached it to F3 (as a
>>control key) in my keyboard file. ... If I *don't hold F3 down* while
>>pressing another key, it works like F3 normally does: Begin/end select,
>>etc. I think this can be done with the other function keys as well. It
>>works with XyWin and XyDOS.

That's right! I've noticed you can map a key assignment to any
shifting key -- including the traditional Shift, Alt, Ctrl keys
-- and retain the shifting function, too. When you depress the
shifting key in combination with another, it behaves like a shift
key; press the shifting key alone and it accesses the key
assignment -- on the *upstroke*. This feature is a useful
by-product of the Common User Access scheme, for example, when
menus are accessed by pressing and releasing the Alt key.
There's a reference to this feature in the discussion of frame
KEYPAD, in SMARTSET.NTS.

Carl Distefano
70154.3452@xxxxxxxx