Re: Strange SA/NV behavior--BK is culprit

Carl Distefano wrote:
Reply to note from Paul Lagasse  Fri, 16 Oct
2009 16:46:52 -040
but I copy the unedited version in the VA$FP directory to
FILENAME.BAK (in the same directory), then save a copy of the
open, edited version to the VA$FP directory, overwriting the
VA$FP version.

True, there is that difference. My routine is easily modified so that
it backs up the last SAved version before SAving the edited version
(see frame BK below; obviously it can be renamed to whatever you
like). Note that this is *not* a replacement for your routine. It
still backs up the file with the original filename, not with a .BAK
extension, so does not address your issue of having multiple versions
of identically-named files in different directories. Just another
option, that's all.
As I said, under other circumstances, I wouldn't mind moving the clutter somewhere else. As it is, I also accomplish what your SA does by other means, by backing up files to a thumbdrive throughout the day, using a different thumbdrive for each day of the week. Human stupidity, despite all that, is occasionally ingenious.
re esp yr BK variant of SA. bk=1 was the culprit that fouled up Xy4's SA
in my XPL programs and later in Harry's, and anyone looking to use this
variant presumably has issues with bk=1 and should set it to zero;
you're making it possible for someone to use a solution without fixing
the problem.
Though my issues arose only after the move to Linux/Dosemu (and Freedos,
Dosemu's default DOS), Harry's first arose when using Robert's UNDO and
now for some reason it's popped up again. IMO Harry should get rid of
bk=0 as I did, and use an alternative backup routine; doing that would
allow him to use UNDO again as well.

Paul Lagasse