Re: DOS v Win encoding/MSW Paranoia (AbiWord)

Bill, you might want to have a look at AbiWord. It's an open source
Word-like app that claims:
That looks interesting. I've also heard that Adobe now has 'Buzzword'
for online collaboration -- apparently a little slicker than Google
Docs in some respects.
I would like to install Office 2003 -- but I don't want to do it if
it is going to cause me trouble. It's a thing I need to use very
rarely -- but I would like to have it on the few occasions I need it.
I suppose what I could do is put it on a virtual machine?
I need to make up my mind what to do about staying on Vista - - do I
need to go back to XP for most of my work?
I've never done the kind of OS/Data partitioning often advocated on
this list -- though I used to keep data on completely different
drives years ago. Maybe I should be doing more with partitioning . .
. . but that still doesn't solve how I might be working with multiple
OS's. I've been told that I can actually run OS X very successfully
on my new Dell 1720 - - though it will be work.
Lots of questions . . . .