Request for help

Having gained much insight from this list since I joined a few years ago, I
ask your indulgence on a non-xywrite question. I'm so untutored in computers
that I use AOL, and without high-speed connection. Lately the welcome screen
began taking several minutes to load, finally generating an error message about
system response. Closing the error box brings the system into normal
operation. AOL on-line help tells me to resolve the problem by deleting the windows
gadgets named style.lst and style.ind. I'm suspicious -- unable to imagine
why commands for window size and position relate to the sign-on problem. So I
haven't followed the tech's advice, which reads to me like a canned response.
My system, WIN98SE, has plenty of memory and disk space. Any suggestions?
Bob White