Re: History of OS/2

Nice addition to OS/2 reminiscences. See also a critical review of the Ars Technica OS/2 article at: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/

OS/2 had much promise, but had serious flaws, like the Synchronous input queue problem, which could bring the system down. This did not affect DOS and Windows programs, and OS/2 was in some ways better running DOS and Windows programs than the native operating systems. I remember running two copies of Windows Ventura Publisher and copying and pasting between them, which was impossible using Windows. DOS processes could be run in the background. These were feats at the time.

Virtualization does nowadays many of the things OS/2 did as regards running DOS and Windows 3.1. See also the account on virtualization at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)