more on Macs

If I could add just two more nice things about Macs to Harmon's list.

1. Mac's never need their HDs defragmented. Mac's use memory
differently.
1a. Corollary: Macs don't get confused and need to have everything wiped
clean and reinstalled one a year.

2. Macs are faster. No kidding. Really. Many independent tests have
demonstrated this. Example: same program, let's say Photoshop, running
on a Mac and on a pc, same function, let's say, open 120 files, change
all red pixels to blue pixels, rotate foto 90-degrees left, save in TIF
format---will finish sooner on a Mac---same RAM, same processor speed
(Hz). One thing which put some people off Macs was that they appeared to
be underpowered; they had less RAM and slower processors than pcs.
Wrong. Don't be fooed by spec sheets. Macs with less 'power' than pcs,
according to spec sheets, are still faster than pcs because they use
memory differently (efficiently). PCs are brute-force machines; they try
to solve all problems with more horsepower. Macs use finesse; clever use
of resources. Like Xy.

Purists made sure they got the last generation of G4 Powerbooks to use
the Mac architecture, as the Intel-changeover was announced well in
advance, just to be sure we were getting lot's of bang for our bucks.
We'll have to wait and see whether the Intel-processor generation of
Macs runs as efficiently as the original architecture.