Re: DOS commands

By Patricia M. Godfrey  :

> The editors of PC World have apparently never heard of XyWrite.
> Here is the e-mail I'm sending them about an egregious misstatement
> (and some other matters) in their February issue:

`George Campbell is mistaken when he says (Word Processing Tips,
February,p. 96) that before Word 2002 "Word processing software has
never before
been able to select multiple, noncontiguous blocks of text to copy and
paste into documents." Ever since 1993 at least, XyWrite 4 has had the
ability to append defined text to what was already in the clipboard,
thusenabling one to collect any number of items and paste them together.
One reason, no doubt, why editors still swear by this oldie but goodie.'

Word-processors don't correspond exactly to Unix-style screen editors,
but with vi under Linux I can (& do) easily mark blocks of text (from
one
file or several), concatenate them, & insert the lot in another file.

Bill Joy wrote vi in the early 1980s.

What's more, I believe the same thing is possible with ex, which is
much older than vi -- in fact it's the base of vi. . . . Add emacs,
circa 1984.

Microsoft & Sheep are so full of it I don't know how they drag
themselves from bed to breakfast.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle