Re: DOS only machine?

Hello Myron,

Given the hardware you have, you can, of course, use them as
typewriters. If you want file sharing with other computers, one viable
option would be an ISA network card (e.g. 3Com EtherLink III). 8086's
and AT's are DOS-only machines, and FreeDOS might be a good choice for
networking in that realm. (The problem is how can you get it in easily,
CD or USB stick would be ideal for setup).
See:
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Networking_FreeDOS_-_Quick_Networking_HowTo

and
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Networking_FreeDOS_complete

As to the notebook, a dual-booting machine with Win98SE and DOS would be
relatively easy to make. Then you could use the Win98SE partition for
USB support even if DOS USB support would not materialize.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***

With the oldest of my laptops (an ), only serial and parallel ports are available, while the "new" one is one of those underpowered little 'netbooks' that more or less runs WinXP (I think), and only has USB ports. I thought any or all of them might work nicely as pure-DOS machines for XyWriting if I can get data in and out.  Hence the question about USB & DOS (for the netbook). The non-USB computers are more problematic unless I can scrounge up enough reliable floppies (and I haven't tested the floppy drives for at least 25 years).  My current computers are all Macs, and I don't know whether I could connect a Mac with a DOS PC via a USB to RS232 serial converter and a null modem cable.