Re:RE: XPL Documentation for XY4

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Mon, 01 Jun 98 16:33:57 -0500

> perhaps someone could help me learn how to program in XPL.
> Even after reading the Xy 3+ and Signature books, I don't have a clue.

Hmmm. Grim! You might have to face the fact that you're not a
programmer. You're certainly not alone. If that's the case, you might be happier
with another word processor. Because keeping this one up-to-date and running
nicely increasingly wants a modicum of programming skill.

The best XPL tutorial that I know was written for Nota Bene by Tony Woozley. It
really starts at ground zero and works forward at a glacial pace. Nothing is
assumed. The problems are, that many of NB's references are different (e.g.
NBSTART.INT instead of STARTUP.INT), different jargon for some of the features, a
slightly different feature set (e.g. no OVerlays in XyWrite), and that NB uses a
_really ancient_ version of EDITOR (the claim that it is equivalent to v3.57 or
thereabouts is complete bunk; it's more like v3.53). But Woozley does a great job,
and it's well worth a peek:

http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/ -- then search for "Woozley".