Re: Off topic... but may be of interest.

M.W. Poirier wrote:
Does any know of a small DOS or Windows programme that would allow be to poll the hard drives for recently downloaded or changed TXT, DOC, PDF, or XY4 type files? I have such a DOS programme, but it has been acting up recently. It worked well for years till about a month or so ago, when it started giving me a "runtime error 202" in mid-flight. I cannot figure out what happened to cause it to do this, and everything I've tried to correct the problem does not work.
Take a look at GNU "find" from the findutils package in GnuWin32. It's an actively maintained command line program that works on 32 bit Windows systems and although arcane, it's quite powerful. You can download it from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/findutils.htm
For those amongst you who may be interested, go to the Garbo file archive, and search for the programme called TODAY. It may be part of a collection of DOS programmes that have been zipped together. It's very useful if you modify files or download files and want to know the names of all of the files in question, and their location on the computer, say, since, yesterday at 14:00 hours. If you do obtain this programme, I'd be interested to know if it performs well for you, or do you too get a Runtime error?
The program TODAY.EXE was written long ago and far away by Prof. Timo Salmi. Given that, the "202" runtime error, and the program's date, it's most likely a 16 bit Pascal application. Since "202" is a Pascal "stack overflow" error, I'm guessing your problem is too many files in the search path to be handled with just a 64K stack size. If you organize your folders and searches so that TODAY.EXE doesn't have to process too many entries at once, you would probably not get the error. Regards, L Anderson