Hyphenation errors -Reply

Paul Ambos  13/August/1997 01:39am wrote:

>I have encountered strange hyphenation errors in XyWin version
>4.12 under Windows 3.1. ...

I am afraid it is a recognised bug which I reported to TTG in early 1994
with version XY4Dos 4.014. I was sent version 4.015 which was meant
to fix it but it still exists in the final release of XY4DOS which is 4.017.
The hyphenation bug seems to have been ported over to XYWin which I
hardly every use because I manipulate text most of the time rather than
try to make it look pretty. There is no similar bug in XY3+.

To recap my experience of the hyphenation bug::

Exception    XyWindows/
Dictionary    XyWrite 4     XyWrite 3+
----------   -----------    ----------
gen-tle-man   gent-leman     gen-tle-man
gen-tle     gentle       gen-tle

I played with the XyWrite supplied exceptions dictionary (DICT.HYP) and
discovered that a lot of it would have to be rewritten to accommodate the
hyphenation bug which cannot handle permutations of the same word in
the list (as in my example above: gen-tle and gen-tle-man).

In your case hyphenation probably gets confused by:

tele-scope
tel-e-phon*e
tele-vi-sion
tele-vise

In XY4Dos I get around the problem by using the Holmgrem/Distefano
SMARTSET to toggle between the SIGNATURE dictionary (UK.DIC the
British English one in my case instead of the usual US.DIC) and the
MICROLYTICS dictionary (DICT.SPL). The reason for this rather
cumbersome work-around is that UK.DIC contains its own more stable
hyphenation rules but its spelling window plonks itself over the queried
word which makes reading the word in context impossible - thus the
need to spell check using the much smarter DICT.SPL query window.
Toggling the two dictionaries fortunately does not dynamically change
the hyphenation for the current session so toggling back to UK.DIC after
a spell check leaves XyWrite non-the-wiser as far as hyphenation is
concerned.

The bad news is that on May 12 Robert Holmgrem reported to this list that
the SIGNATURE dictionary does not work with XYWin. So it looks as if
you will have to live with the bug or go back to DOS.

Regards
Jon Inggs