Re: Eudora MAPI

At 04:16 AM 4/25/96 -0400, Harry Binswanger wrote:
>Bill: what is MAPI? And what version of Eudora has it?

I'm using Eudora Pro v. 2.2. MAPI allows me to create a document in MS Word
(I think the same is true of Wordperfect for Windows, but I haven't tried it) and, from
within MS Word, give the Send command, whereupon Word automatically invokes Eudora Pro and
presents me with an e-mail screen with the MS Word document already specified as an
attachment. All I have to do is specify the recipient and press the send button, and off
goes the e-mail message.

>From my perspective, the virtue of using a word processor in conjunction with Eudora Pro
in this fashion is that I get the editing and formatting features of a full-fledged word
processor, which are far more sophisticated than those found in an e-mail program. Of
course, I don't really want to use MS Word for this purpose; I want to use XyWrite.

Here is how the Eudora Pro Help file describes MAPI:

MAPI is an interface that lets you send e-mail messages from any MAPI-compatible
application, such as your word processor, spreadsheet, graphics application, etc. MAPI-
compatible applications have a Send or Send Mail option in the File menu. When you select
the option, the Eudora MAPI server displays a new outgoing message with your current
document attached. All you need to do is address the message, type any details you want to
include in the body of the message, and click Send or Queue.

Bill Rich