Stack question

With due trepidation, I ask the following re stack.
I'm implementing STACK.DOC's generously added directions for adapting STACK to handle CU GT LD ("Multiple function calls...").
I've made the substitution for SUbroutine 642 as directed (did it several
times, to make sure I got it right), but when I hit the key I've assigned
for XH,BC,$S I get:

"Cannot compare a number to string. ≪va|634≫≪Sometimes it also puts a 1 on the command line. Of course, I could use the
suggested "different workaround" using $D, but I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx