Re: Various virtual machines compared

>My VirtualPC 2007 balked at Win 3.11 and DOS 6. Wouldn't run them. That might be my installation error. But when I did get Windows 98 running under it, communication with Windows 7 was agonizingly slow--something Ed Mendelson also complains about with his Wordperfect DOS workarounds. Whereas XP Mode is instant.

If you are willing to retry, here are the necessary steps:

1) A manual installation managed by you:
Virtual PC with DOS additions + DOS + optionally Win 3.1 on top of it for DOS task switching etc.
See the detailed instructions for setting up Virtual PC in my readme.txt located in: http://www.lexitec.fi/xywrite/dosadd.zip
More about Virtual PC at: http://www.lexitec.fi/xywrite/utility.html

Or
2) A ready-to-run simplified test run:
To make the process a little easier, just install VirtualPC 2007 (check that the version matches
your host operating system!) and try one of the ready-to-run virtual machines available (with and
without Win 3.11) at:
http://www.ohmancorp.com/RefWin-VirtualPC.asp (if you own the licenses!)
These JayRO machines have DOS additions (from VPC 2004) installed, so you can try information
sharing with the host system just by choosing "Settings, Shared Folders" from the Virtual
PC Console.

Put the vmc and vhd files in your Virtual PC "My Virtual Machines" folder, start Virtual
PC, choose "New.." and "Add an existing virtual machine". Doubleclick to run the
virtual machine, you should get to the DOS prompt. If you have a WIN311.ISO file, drop it onto the
CD icon, run Windows setup from the CD drive.

There is a trick you might find useful when working with VPC vhd files. When not running VPC, you
can extract the files and folders from the vhd file just by firing up 7-zip file manager or
double-clicking the folder if you have 7-zip installed. Works just like any zip file. I would not
recommend write access, though. If you write your piece in VPC XyWrite, you can drag the resulting
file onto your desktop when done. You cannot have the vhd file open in 7-zip when you start a VPC
session (file sharing violation!).

>I see why Harry wants Tame. It makes XY's display a lot more flexible with fonts, window sizes, number of lines onscreen and other customizations we weren't expecting back in the DOS days.

I understand, but within Win 3.1(1) DOS boxes you will have all the amenities you will ever need.
Changing fonts and line count is taken care by Windows, but the responsiveness of DOS is preserved.

>By comparison, VPC resulted several times in the BSOD.

It should not. Something is amiss... VPC may not the right solution for running newer operating
systems like XP, but is the best for running DOS and Win 3.11.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx