Re: More on Tame

[If you are satisfied with the way XyWrite for DOS runs under W2K, press the delete
key now...]

I will write to David Thomas. Before I do so, I'd like to get a measure of the
extent to which list members find the existing version of Tame less than fully
satisfactory. Currently, I see the following two problems with XyWrite for DOS
version 4.018 running under W2K SP3 in a window:

- Actions assigned to cursor keys don't occur instantaneously when the keys are
pressed. The problem is illustrated on my system as follows: open a largish file,
put the cursor at the bottom of the first screen, hold down the cursor-down key,
and then, after the screen has started scrolling, release the key. On my system
the screen continues to scroll for about half a second after the key is released.

- Tame doesn't seem to reduce the jerkiness of keys with assignments starting NI.
(On my system, it's necessary to put NI at the start of most key assignments
involving the Alt key and a key on the cursor or number pads (e.g.
Alt-[cursor-right], which I use for NW).)

(Maybe these problems can't be fully "solved"; I will ask Thomas.)

If these, or related problems, occur on your system, and you are interested in
finding a solution, please let me know (either by writing to the list, or to me
privately (martin.osborne@xxxxxxxx)---I don't know what is the proper list
etiquette). Please tell me whether the problems I describe are the ones from which
you suffer; if you see other problems, tell me what they are.

--
Martin J. Osborne
Department of Economics

martin.osborne@xxxxxxxx