Re: XYWin on Win 98

> Patricia M Godfrey wrote:
>
> > Jordan: Where, oh where do you find keyboards (AT ones at least) with
the
> > F keys on the left where they belong? I saw a Northgate at a show and
> > sale once, but no docs or drivers. Likewise the Gateway with the double
> > set of F Keys. Even if I could find one, would it work with Win9x?
>
>   Mine (purchased in 1996)---a Northgate with two sets of F keys---works
> very well on W95. I believe it came with drivers on a disk---I can try to
> dig them out if you're interested and/or try it out on my W98 or W2000
> machines. (Incidentally, I bought the keyboard specifically because it
has
> the F keys on the side (as well as on the top), but somehow I never use
the
> ones on the side these days ... not sure why.)

About a year ago, I did a Google search, and came up with two manufacturers
who purported to do left side function keys, and a third that would
fabricate whatever you want, but at a price that would be prohibitive unless
purchasing in quantity. I am told that occasionally these will show up in
community recycling drives, many of which charge a fee for contributions --
so if you hang out, you might get a freebie and save somebody five bucks.

About three years ago, I invested about $30 each in three "ErgoLogic"
ergonomic keyboards that my dealer had picked up at a bankruptcy sale.
These are the ones where you turn a knob to make the QWERTY half split from
the YUIOP half, with each half hinged at the outside end and rising in the
(split) center. I bought the keyboards for the left side F keys. I found
that after an hour or so, I was able to adjust to touch typing at a very
comfortable angle. These keyboards are spectacularly gentle on my wrists,
but they were not especially well built. I have one in the office, one at
home, and the third is used to replace broken parts. There may or may not
be some bankrupt stock still floating around, but not in the Cherry Hill, NJ
area. The ErgoLogic has no Windows key, but it functions appropriately in
W-95 with the help of a rodent.

Fred Gross