Character Set

I have just switched from a Deskjet to a Laserjet 4+. I have been used to
getting typographer's double quotes in proportionally spaced text by using
doubled left or right single quotes. That doesn't work at all with the new
driver.

Nos. 264 and 265 in the XyWrite character set, which are supposed to do the
job, work only for three fonts that come with XyWrite (Dutch, Swiss,
Courier10). There does not seem to be any way to get typographer's double
quotes with any of the fonts provided with the printer. I can get single
quotes using them only with symbol set 23Z, which screws up most of the foreign
characters, which are located in different places than in the standard IBM
ASCII set. I can't believe that upgrading the printer reduces the number of
fonts usable for proportional camera copy with quotes to two! I assume that
there is an answer, and that any old Laserjet hand will know it. I will much
appreciate learning being clued in.

I am also puzzled that the indexes to the manuals give no information at all on
quotation marks.

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania