Re: Brother's simulation

Hi, Fred -

I'm interested in what you say about the brother hl-1440. I recently bought an HP 5650 and finally
got it up and running with both my XP and Win98 machines, only to find that it is hugely expensive
to print with it - and I do a LOT of printing. So I'm wondering what the replacement parts situation
is with the brother - does it require replacement of parts other than the toner and drum kit? Also,
you say the toner cartridge needs frequent replacing, but I"ve just read reviews by people who
say they're getting 6,000 pp per cartridge. Am I missing something?

And is anyone interested in my old and wonderfully reliable Panasonic KXP 4420? I retired it only
because it needed all new parts, and new printers are so much less expensive ...

Polly

The Brother HL-1440 is out of production, but is still available from a few
         remainder stores. Its big disadvantage is that it has a fairly small toner
         cartridge, which frequently needs refilling or replacing. I previously had
         NEC SilentWriters, which worked off the same XY3 LaserJet fonts, and had
         relatively huge toner cartridges. The older models, such as 660, were
         workhorses. Newer models, such as 860, had delicate paper feed systems.
         That is why I switched to Brother.

         Fred Gross