Re: Mysterious problem

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:14:42 -0500

> It's Xy/dos 4.014, running in a DOS window under Win95, on a 233 mhz
> Pentium. Size of the file doesn't seem to be a factor; it happened this
> morning (prompting my post) on a 9K file.

Sounds like memory management to me. I suggest that you upgrade to v4.017.
But before doing that, have you examined the file at the DOS level for
spurious characters? Do you have a lot of other files open at the same time
in other windows? If so, it may not matter that the offending file is just
9K, it could still be swapped out to disk. When this happened (often!) under
Xy3, it was almost always an Ascii-0 the somehow crept into the picture, or
some other character which XyWrite could save and recall but not display.
However, in my experience this sort of behavior occurs very
infrequently under Xy4-DOS, and usually due to illegal formats or else
bizarre control characters introduced in the course of experimenting or just
horsing around with the EDITOR (which I assume you aren't doing). Check out
the file under LIST.COM...

---------
Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx