From: "Patricia M. Godfrey"

Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: robert's advice on setting up shortcuts and icons to start
xywrite

Andy Turnbull wrote:
First, I always run from directory \xy -- below windows.
Also, if it's of any interest to anyone, all my xywrite files are in directory \A -- again below windows. I don't know whether that's normal or not, but it seemed to make sense to me.
Better than c:\Windows or C;\Windows\Program Files, where M$ wants everything, but (as Robert and I have been saying till I at least am blue in the face), your DOS apps and your data should be on separate partitions or separate hard drives from Windows and Windows apps. Much as I hesitate to differ from Robert on a matter in which he is light-years more knowledgeable than I, those who are perhaps more icon-oriented might find it useful (in W2K on) to follow Carl's advice and make the shortcut point to c:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c d:\xy4\editor.exe where d:\xy4 is the drive and directory of editor.exe. In Vista you must do this if you want to have any icon but the blank piece of paper that expresses Microsludge's view of DOS apps. And sorry, I started to give this whole megillah to Andy and it got lost in drafts when I was swamped with other things. -- Patricia M. Godfrey priscamg@xxxxxxxx