NB 8 and U2

I know this isn't the NB list, but this is a U2-related issue.
A U2 routine I use to change directories doesn't work in NB 8. I think it may have to do with it being old code that uses s/g 00, which may no longer be usable (?).
I was going to comment out the line with the 00, for testing, but a strange
thing happens: the line begins with the reversed smiley-face (ascii 02 as I
recall). In NB it shows up as a script-like S. Okay, when I tried to put a
;*; right after it, the semi-colon wouldn't show up. Instead it put in a
different kind of script-like S.

Is there some kind of code-page issue here?
NB still seems a little buggy, for a Xy-user anyway. Sometimes it gets stuck in a state where it thinks the alt-key has been depressed.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx