Re: Concerning XYWEB113.ZIP

Reply to notes from from "M.W. Poirier"
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:48:44 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm wondering, would it be possible to add a short discription
> _focussing on the main new and/or changed features_ when a new
> Jumbo file is issued?

and Judith Davidsen  Thu, 15 Aug 2002
20:06:49 -0400

> Is it possible to send out a little announcement as each new
> one becomes available? I seem to hear about new versions almost
> as asides in other correspondence, missed V106 through 111
> entirely, and heard about v112 only because I posed a question
> that it contained a remedy for.

It would be easy enough to post such an announcement here. OK,
we'll do that starting with v114. We'll try to highlight notable
changes and additions. Right now we're hard at work on the User
Variable Registry, which will make upgrading to new releases of U2 a
snap. We'll certainly trumpet that when it's ready.

But if you want to know _exactly_ what's new in a new release,
there's no need to rely on any announcement of ours. Just put the
new XYWWWEB.INF file in one window, the old .INF file in the
adjacent window and issue LISTDIFF. You'll get a complete
listing of the differences between the two INFormational files, and
hence the rundown on what's new. To see what's changed in the
routines themselves (the underlying code), do the same with the two
U2 files. To see the differences in broader context, add a
numerical switch, as in LISTDIFF /240. That provides about
three lines (240 chars) of context around each point of divergence.
The default context setting is 80 chars. Command HELP LISTDIFF for
additional info.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx