Re: re Northgate keyboards

Robert Holmgren wrote:

> ** Reply to note from Robert Kubie  on Fri, 05
> Jan 2001 21:43:54 -0600
>
> > I am afraid that was me, and they have stopped selling or servicing
> > Northgate Keyboards.
>
> But the Avant Stellar is an improved (it ought to be, at $189) clone
> of the Northgate OmniKey. They bought the mold, everything. I've
> gradually accumulated six of them, over about 3 years. They're really
> solid, longterm performers, nice software program, keystroke macros,
> the works. No complaints here, no failures; in this shop, people
> fight for them (and for those nifty seeing-eye mice). There's
> resistance rather than squish when you depress, and a nice tactility;
> you know you hit the key. Totally programmable, F-keys where the Lord
> intended them to be (on the left, and on top too if you enjoy lifting
> your hand and stretching waaay up north). I figure, input and output,
> the keyboard and the monitor -- I'll splurge for them.

Since my trusty, well broken-in *original* Omni-102 (circa the late '80s)
has some worsening problems that are probably unfixable or not worth
fixing, and I'll probably have to start using the spare I salted away a
few years ago, I guess it's time to bite the bullet and get an Avant. As
long as we are still using keyboards, I wouldn't want to use anything
else.

Just for the record, there was an outfit someone on Compuserve turned me
on to, Lueck Data Systems (maybe that was the one being referred to here
?), that for a while had some leftover stock on the Omni's, parts, and
repair options for those insisting on it. They have not answered email
I've sent them recently, leading me to wonder if they might be out of
business. Their website hasn't been updated for a couple years.

Jordan